Going Global

Sunday, August 06, 2006

It's wedding season

The first weekend of August is apparently the busiest weekend of the year for weddings and this year it was my uncles turn to gracefully arrange to get married on this day. So the entire family, including distant far flung relatives whose names and faces I cannot remember, turned up for wedding in a beutiful church which is hundreds of years old in the middle of rural Kent.

Have to say it was a great wedding. The wedding ceremony was led by a female Vicar who, with her thick funky glasses and curly hair, made everyone very relaxed and run a very modern ceremony. She didn't even wear shoes! Now that is modern!

Even the hyms, not my favourite things I must say, were good, including 'Lord of the Dance' which I remember being pretty much the only song I enjoyed at school when we were forced to sing in extremely boring assemblies! So I gleefully sung along to the song, didn't fall asleep (that used to happen a lot in Church for me) and really rather enjoyed it as the ceremony contained some odds and ends I have never seen before. For example, they lit two candles which represented 'both families' and then later in the ceremony lit a larger single candle representing them. The vicar proclaimed that they have to light this candle every anniversary to show their love and commitment to one another

Afterwards the assembled troop departed for the reception which was being held in the grounds of the bride's (Vicky) parents place. The marquee was magnificent and was placed in the grounds of the house with the animals moved nearby. Have to say the day was a lot of fun. Everyone had a really good time and the family got to together for the first time since our nan passed away. Grandad spent a lot of the day smiling and I think he was proud that his youngest son had finally got married and that he had found the love of his life at last. Even my cousin Dan was back from Dubai for the weekend to attend the wedding.

So all in all a rather good weekend. As the 4th wedding I think I have attended in the last two years I have noticed it appears to be wedding 'time' for most my friends and young relatives. No doubt this 'trend' will continue as I have another two weddings on the horizon! Think if this pace continues I'll end up feeling like one of the characters from 'Four Weddings and a Funeral'! Still can't complain, they are jolly good things to attend and involve lots of drinking!

1 Comments:

Blogger Evangeline said...

what, no photos of the weddings? :P

11:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home