Going Global

Thursday, April 20, 2006

The decision

Hi all,

Thanks to you all for your emails since I started travelling. I think its' been a very long 7 months and you won't be surprised to hear that its still not yet over! After my last email, which I know was depressing and grim, I have decided that it's about time to tell you my plans and to ask for any help or advice you may be able to provide on the matter.

You see ever since I was a kid I dreamed of doing the overland route between London and Singapore. It's one of those mystical 'i wish' dreams we occasionally have on a Sunday afternoon whilst relaxing reading the travel section in the paper. Well I now have the chance of doing just that dream, well most of it anyway. You see a week ago, less actually, I was thinking I would travel overland through Nepal into Tibet and onto China and then pick up the Trans-Mongolian through Mongolia and Russia. Well people getting shot, strikes and Nepal basically shutting down dismissed that dream rather rapidly. So now I find myself in Thailand picking up 'that dream' from Bangkok.

So here's the challenge. I have three months, yep three months, to do the following Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - China - Mongolia - Russia - Estonia - Latvia - Lithuania - Poland - Czech Republic - Germany - Netherlands - HOME. It's particularly challenging as a) I have run out of money so its credit card all the way and b) I have no experience or should I say clue about China, Mongolia and Russia. Some people have already been immensely helpful with advice on China (thanks Kate and Alena) but anyone who has experience or ideas on some of these countries I would appreciate advice a great deal. Currently in the north of Thailand, heading over the border into Laos for about a week before moving into northern Vietnam.

Take care,

Will

ps Since leaving Nepal the situation has got even worse. Just read that there is a 18 hour, yes 18 hour, 'shot-to-kill' curfew being imposed. What a complete mess. Interesting article can be found at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2142960,00.html

1 Comments:

Blogger Flic said...

Hi Will,

Looks like you're all set for China, just remember to take the trains :) apparently in Russia(my parents and brother are going) the roads are really bad, so train is preferable to bus there as well. Hope it helps :)

Enjoy!

Luv flic xxx

1:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home