Going Global

Friday, July 21, 2006

September calling

Its been a long time since I last updated my blog for a variety of reasons. Due to unforeseen circumstances I am now back in the UK and things are now beginning to return to normality.

At the moment I am living with my auntie and uncle in Faversham and trying to organise work in the city. It's really proving to be a very frustrating excercise regarding the patience of a saint at times. You see the problem is I only need work for two months before starting with Trowers at the end of September. I have been rather truthful with agencies and told them I only need work for 8 weeks. With hindsight honesty might not be the best policy as most agencies seem disinterested in a candidate who can commit for such a short period of time. Then there is the problem with my resume. You see I am skilled, especially in I.T. and H.R. but am rather a 'jack of many trades and a master of none!' So with no 'solid long term' experience I find myself just short of positions I know I can do, especially in I.T.

Had the funniest experience yesterday with a agency in the city. Jeni, a really outgoing friendly Australian from Perth, spent something like an hour with me trying to work out a timeline for my last 6 years. In the end the timeline took up something like 5 pages with a variety of employment and an even larger amount of travelling. By the end of it I realised that I really need to spend sometime in one place and perhaps keep my feet on the group, of course with the occasional week here and there spent diving from planes or trekking mountains allowed! The poor girl said she had never seen a candidate 'quite as wide as me in what I have done'. Of course take into account I have done everthing from I.T. support through to selling forklifts and you can see what she means!

I also went 'flat shopping' to see what's on offer in the city for when I started work in September. Turns out if I can find another person there are heaps of well priced options. A two bed flat right in the heart of the city would set me back no more than £150 a week! I mean isn't that a bargain! I may even get en-suite which would be a first for me! The thought of walking to a gym and then straight to work without all that commuting crap is very appealing.

So I await September with a sense of expectancy and eagerness not felt in many years. For the first time in my life I am going to start a career, albeit as a lawyer, and I feel perhaps I am about to turn the page and embark on a new period of my life. At times the thought of me dressed in a suit providing legal advice makes me chuckle, God knows what my friends think. But it'll be a challenge I'll relish.

Bring it on!

2 Comments:

Blogger Evangeline said...

but you look hot in a suit :)

4:07 pm  
Blogger Flic said...

Best of luck Will! :)

9:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home