Going Global

Saturday, November 12, 2005

I come from a land down under

The flight was an interesting experience. For once I had the foresight to request an aisle seat expecting that I would need the toilet a few to many times on such a long trip. Anyway about half an hour into the flight the main flight attended, who was a well growned and polite middle aged gentleman, knealt down next to me - 'would you be prepared to do me a small favour and in return I shall see you alright' he uttered to me. Now at first I admit I was somewhat unsure what he was refering to with my rather wild imagination ranging from holding an object through to a lot me seddier, 'err yeah of course' i said, 'what do you want?' 'Well the gentleman behind you is sitting with his wife and his tv screen isn't working, now I would move them to first class but as the flight is available I don't have the facilities, so if you could swap seats with them as you have a spare seat and sit by the window I shall see you alright'. So I moved expecting 'see me alright' to mean nothing more than a few drinks and good service. The man who moved was in his late 40's maybe 50's and his wife was, well a tiny Asian lady in her early 20s!!!! Throughout the flight they barely said a word to each other and the thought did cross my mind on more than one occasion that she was his 'mail-order bride'!!!!

Anyway they did provide excellent service with many many cups of tea offered and accepted. At the end of the flight the steward comes over, dips down and gives me this bag uttering 'thanks'. Opening the bag I noticed it contained an expensive wash kit and a bottle of quality champagne which I would estimate that would retail at about AU$100. All this for moving seats!!! Hell I would do it again!!!

Landing in Sydney I stuttered through the airport to the insanely long quere which has people from all walks of life waiting patiently in a zig-zagged line for immigration. Fearing a repeat performance of the US and Canadian customs I half expected to find a dozen or so questions shot in my direction and a look of 'i don't believe you' written across the persons face who was interogating me!

What I got was rather typical of a country I have slowly grown to love. The customs lady, in her late 40's yet with big permed hair, said 'where ya staying' in a typical deep Aussie accent. I replied 'afraid don't know, visiting my mates here and in Adelaide, used to be at uni here and basically gonna catch up and drink some piss'. In Australia piss is slang for beer and is taken to mean that you know what you are referring to and not the stuff that comes out another direction! Her response was funny and typically laid back in Australian fashion- 'oh sounds good, well ya have a good time now then'!!! Cheers, thanks a lot dear, talk about different to the US and Canada!!!

But I did realise that the reason the quere was so insanely long was because four flights had arrived, 2 from the US, 1 from Taipai and one from the Phillippines!!! So heading to the customs I said to the man checking and deciding who got searched 'sorry mate got a sweat off the flight, you want it', he said 'you just of QF12 from LA?' 'Yeah why?' 'Just wondering if you have any chocolate, as I fancy that' I replied err no, so he let me through! Classic example of a man who enjoyed his job!

Now Sydney is an interesting city. Its a mixture of British and American urban designs. Streets are lined with bill boards hanging above people's heads whilst those who can drive V6's and V8s around the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home