Going Global

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sabang
After the 3 hour or so journey we arrived into the small village of Sabang. Located close to the entrance to the underground river Sabang has developed substancially in recent years. However, on first arrival it doesn't seem like it could have done as it's a very small village. With only a few questhouses and restuarants its a very quiet and laid back place where many travellers come and stay doing nothing but relaxing for days or often weeks.

The fee for the park is 200 peso's (about 2 pounds) which allows you entrance to the park and a journey up on the underground river on a boat. You can trek into the cave entrance, which is a few kilometres away but as I was on a day trip I did not have time to do this. So instead I opted to try to find a place on a fast boat heading for the cave entrance. The boats are very strange indeed. Essentially they are a single hulled vessle with stabalisers along the side. At first I was curious as to why they had adopted this particular design. As I attempted to board the boat for the ten minute journey I was knocked back by the force of the waves. Once on board the journey became even more difficult as boat headed into some of the largest waves I have ever seen. I had, unfortunately, decided to sit near the front which meant I caught the hardest waves along with an Philippino born American called Sam. By the time we reached the entrance to the cave my shoes were soaked through and my shorts drenched! Still its all part of the experience!!! I had a few Philippino's on the boat with me as well as two Americans. One was a Philippino born American in his mid 40's and the other an elderly white American who had an annoying habit of saying 'gosh' and 'oh my God' in at least every other sentence!!!




2 Comments:

Blogger Flic said...

Heya will,

sounds like you're still having a ball, glad you found somewhere so out of the way with less tourists!

keep having fun,
luv flic xxx

1:44 am  
Blogger Evangeline said...

that looks so fun >.<

11:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home