Going Global

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Tamil Hindu festival

As I was sitting in the internet cafe in Kandy the owner rushed over to me and asked me if I wanted to see something special. Wondering what he meant I followed him outside the cafe and through the narrow alleyway to the sounds of musical instruments in the distance. Going down the road were a number of trucks which had trees going over the cabins. Hanging from the cabins were men suspended in mid-air by ropes and hooks. At first I said to my friend 'arn't they suspended by padding?'. He smiled and said 'have a good look'. As I stepped closer I could see they had huge hooks going through their skin so that they were literally hanging from their body! I don't know how they were able to take the pain as I couldn't even see them up close without feeling physically ill!

As the procession passed at the back of the convoy was a man who was dressed up elaborately and looked like both a man and a women. I was told by someone I could not take photos and realised quickly as the red carpet was placed in front of the person that he was meant to represent God, or one of the Hindi Gods. He was surrounded by women dressed in elaborate sari's with bowls on their heads, with people coming up and bowing to the man.

My friend told me this was an important Hindu (hence Tamil) festival procession that had come a distance of over 15 km's from the mountains. He assured me 'they won't feel any pain' then added 'at the moment' before checkingly telling me 'they will be in agony later tho!' Interesting what you can see when you least expect it

1 Comments:

Blogger Evangeline said...

hmm, i think i've seen something like that in singapore. it was also a tamil festival, with men walking around with large heavy looking wire-frame structures. and the structure was supported by the metal rods running through their skin/bodies. heard they get into a trance before they do it to help with the pain.

oh yeah i think there was also some arty exhibition with humans hanging from hooks and whatnot. saw it on tv...it looked...infectioulicious!

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home