Going Global

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Experiences in Jaipur

One of the things about Indian cities are the sheer craziness and dirtiness of them. Streets can barely contain the sheer amount of traffic crawling down them whilst open sewers flow down the sides of the road. People try to make a living in these areas selling food and drinks to locals which I have to confess I haven't stumped up the willingness to try yet.

Rickshaw and Tuk-Tuk madness
I am currently in Jaipur, which is the capital of Rajastan, and have spent the day battling with Rickshaw and tuk-tuk drivers. I have to say I have never come across a city where there are quite so many trying to get you to take a trip with them. I am literally having to push them away as I walk down the street. Whats annoying is there seems to be a universal belief amongst them that I don't need to walk and in fact shouldn't be doing so. It's actually very annoying as I tend to try to walk everywhere but find myself spending most my time whilst walking telling the drivers to get lost.

Street Children
Another thing which I have noticed is the surprisingly large numbers of street children in the city. They seem to pack together and all wear identical grey cloths with white bags hanging over their shoulders. Even though I am very used to seeing this throughout Asia its still hard walking past them trying to ignore them as I don't find it easy seeing children suffer. I still havn't figured whether they are truly homeless or being used to make money by their parents or some other kind of 'master'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home