Going Global

Monday, January 02, 2006

Further troubles in Nepal

It seems that the world is slowly descending into chaos. Or at least the parts of it which I seem to be about to travel to are. I have just finished reading a brief news report on the troubles in Nepal. It seems that the Maorists are about to call of their cease fire with the Government and Army due to the Army basically breaking their part of the deal by attacking them.

I remember when I first went to Nepal over 6 years ago. I found the people immensely friendly and welcoming and was shocked by the sheer beauty of the place. I had never seen such a place and consider it to be one of the most spiritual and in many ways special places in the world.

That is why the troubles really worry me as I can't stand to see a place I hold so dear to my heart descending into anarchy and chaos. The people don't deserve it and don't want it either. What annoys me perhaps equally as much is the fact that the troubles are so rarely reported in the West and even if they are its a few sentences here and there. The press and the public seem to be more interested in David Beckham or some stupid reality show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home